San Saba County Historical Commission

Historical Markers

Behrns Normal & Business College

In Cherokee on SH 16, at site of college (now Cherokee High School)

“Opened 1895 by noted educator Francis Marion Behrns. A 3-story native blue marble main hall and frame dormitory were built by interested local citizens. Courses included mathematics, natural sciences, Latin, oratory, commercial subjects, literature, psychology, music and painting. Character building was stressed. Its graduates led in teaching and other professions. After the Behrns School closed in 1903, buildings were used by Cherokee Junior College; after 1921 by public schools. In 1945 fire destroyed old main hall.” 

   
Website Builder