San Saba County Historical Commission
The Historical Commission began in San Saba County on March 2, 1962 when the San Saba County Commissioners Court appointed seven members to the San Saba County Historical Survey Committee. Their aims included education about Texas history and observance of Texas holidays; preserving county and local history; organizing a county museum; recording, marking and restoring historical buildings; encouraging maintenance of historical sites; and locating and marking graves of veterans.
This small group immediately recognized that in order to carry our these objectives they would need to enlist help from other citizens. Led by Mrs. Alma Ward Hamrick, the Survey Committee helped to organize and then to advise the San Saba County Historical Society which had 192 charter members. In 1964 the county museum was established with its first home being one room at the courthouse. It relocated to Mill Pond Park in 1965 and has expanded several times since. In the 1970s the Historical Society reorganized as the San Saba County Historical Museum Foundation, Inc.
Our Historical Commission has published two county history books: San Saba County History 1856-1983 and San Saba County History 1856-2001 Volume II and has recently reprinted The Call of the San Saba by Alma Ward Hamrick. We have supported the application for over 30 historical markers and historic cemeteries and created a Historic Downtown San Saba Walking tour. In each of the last ten years the Commission has offered a Christmas ornament depicting a historic structure in the county.
In the late 1960s, Joyce Capps, with assistance from other Historical Commission members, surveyed all the cemeteries in the county and published San Saba County Cemetery Tombstone Inscriptions. The Commission is now working to create a current cemetery inventory.